Sunday, December 13, 2009

Speed Sculpts

Well, here's my first personal 3D related post. Something that I see a lot around sculpting forums and modeling forums is speed sculpts. Basically you allot yourself a relatively short amount of time, anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours, and you just do as much as you can in that time. And this means working from scratch or from primitive geometry (square, sphere, etc.).

To me this is really a great practice for multiple reasons, and to be clear I'm currently just beginning to try to actually make this a habit for myself. First of all, sculpting this way really forces you to get used to working without wasting too much time thinking too hard about a stroke or getting distracted by any other possible distraction (chat, facebook, twitter, tv, video games). I know that focus is one hurdle that I've yet to fully overcome so I'm hoping these sculpts help to increase my discipline. Secondly, it's really a fantastic way to just generate a ton of models and build up a huge concept library. The purpose of these is not to have a finished piece, but to just quickly put to screen a new character or bust. Outside of technical skill, I feel that concepting is about the most important thing for an artist. You have to be able to do more than just build models. I certainly don't mean to imply that there is no merit in working off of others concepts, I do this frequently, but I find it important to actively create concepts as well.

So anyway, I'll try to post a good number of these on here, always using the label "speedsculpt" so at anytime you can look through all that I have done.

For now, here are my first two:

Time: 45 minutes











Time: 50 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment